I’m breaking up w/ Instagram

I dont know when I will be back.  Or if at all.  But right now its just somewhere I cannot be. Ive had my keto profile for about 3 years now and I feel like its all been for nothing.  I think in these three years people have forgotten that I am a person.  A real person with a life,  feelings, thoughts, opinions and rights.  Rights to post whatever I feel like and in no context but my own.  And people are so quick to flip the switch when you choose to do something out of the norm.  I feel like some people think they have a right to dictate what I do and have their own opinion about what I post and how my life should be.  So the second I try to do something for myself, or change something, all hell breaks loose and I catch nothing but flack for it.  It hurts me to no end that someone can be the shittiest person to me and say the most cruel shit to me, and thats TOTALLY OK.  But when I try to defend myself im the bad guy.  Of course Im going to be on the defensive when someone is attacking me. Especially for no good reason.  No one can sit there and say they wouldnt be if it was happening to them.  It’s easy for people to say “don’t worry about”, “just ignore them”. Do you know how many times I’ve done that? Tried that? It’s wears on you. Chips away little but little until you feel like complete shit about yourself because your constantly attacked over the stupidest things. Over these years ive had to thicken my skin just to be able to be online. I cant even begin to tell you the messages and comments I have to weed through daily of people being hateful just because they can.  So I have grown unsympathetic to anyone who is trying to bring negativity and hate to my page.  Social Media is a funny animal that way.  Its completely acceptable to be an asshole, call people names, tell someone their wrong, shove your opinions down their throat.  But the second you fight back, you are the worst of them all.  It makes zero sense to me.  Its a place that just doesnt bring me happiness anymore. I’m just a girl on the internet. A girl that can so easily be made fun of by insignificant humans who have nothing better to do with their time than tear other humans down by one snippet they happen to walk in on.  What they say or do has nothing to do with my worth of the kind of person I am. I am content with the type of human I am and what I have done and will do with MY life. Everything else is just static.

I feel like im ending a relationship with someone. One that is/was extremely important to me.  This was all more than just an Instagram profile to me.  My heart is truly broken that it has come to this point.  This community used to be the brightest spot in my dark life. I gave so much of myself and my time to thousands of people.  Giving advice.  Giving support with keto. Providing recipes and meal ideas.  Building relationships and trust. Because I wanted to help people and share my passion for keto.  But all of that gets so easily forgotten.  Im physically and mentally exhausted from trying to live my life and just do what feels right in my own choices.  I guess my mistake was trying to share that as well. I’m going to miss so many people.  Women I looked up to. Connections I’ve made.  People who were always there for me.  But the bad has finally started to outweigh the good. I’ve got way too many other important things going on in my life right now to be dealing with all this drama every day. I want to be able to freely explore other ways of eating without being greeted by an argument. I just want to be free, live my life and find some goodness again.  I’m going to turn my full attention to my wedding planning and my business.

Here’s to hoping that one day people can see the weight of their actions.

14 thoughts on “I’m breaking up w/ Instagram

1. Emackin says:

Maybe get rid of some social accounts. Change the Facebook group setting to closed. Many groups have chosen to do this fir exactly the reasons tig have mentioned. People are asssholes, you can’t change that. I find your posts worthwhile and in surecirgers do. I hope you find a way to continue giving without bleeding as well

2. Becky says:

Hi Lesley, (sorry if I misspelled your name.) I left Instagram a while back as well. I didn’t have much time invested in it but I want you to know I’m truly sorry you’ve fallen victim to the dark side of social media, which, in my opinion, is only getting darker and causing society to fall apart. It’s probably for the better that you’ve decided to leave. Let them stay on Instagram and tear each other apart while you live your life. By the way, you were my favorite person on IG and your sauce is the best thing in my fridge right now.

3. Zainab says:

Hi I’ve had you on instagram since I started keto and I love you so much and you inspired me a lot I’m sad that your leaving instagram and I hope you don’t whatever you decide hope the best for your future 😘

4. Holly says:

Aww that sucks, sorry to see you go. Good luck with whatever you choose to do next, and thanks for sharing what you’ve shared. I haven’t been a follower for long but I enjoyed your post !

5. Bethany Furey says:

honey I wish you the best. Please don’t let those types of people get to you. It’s not worth it. I never even saw your website until TODAY. I was looking for keto recipes. aw. I don’t even have an instagram for those reasons. I dont want one. I’ll pray for you. This will be ok. I promise.

6. Maura says:

Lezlee, I just found your blog when googling “lazy keto recipes” and I am so sorry to read this update from today — I can already tell how giving and kind you are…and of course when I read the post before today’s, I was immediately really alarmed about your depression. My brother died from bipolar disorder by suicide, and all of my spidey senses were tingling with fear that you are in a really dark, hopeless place right now. Lezlee, you matter SO much, and the world is so much better with you in it. You already made my day better and I’m a complete stranger! You do not have to be perfect to be worthy. Everyone fails sometimes. You are just one of the extraordinarily courageous people who are public about some failures. Your value is not in what you do for people, though you do a lot. You are worthy and valuable just as you are, right now.

Please don’t go. I don’t mean don’t go from Instagram – if that is what you need to do to take care of yourself, do it. Mean people suck, and they do a lot of damage to others, and there is nothing wrong with you that it becomes too much sometimes. It’s not your fault. It’s okay to center yourself somewhere that is much more positive and affirming. But please don’t go. Please stay in the world. Thank you for sharing your experience and thank you for existing.

• Thank you so much for your kind words, Maura. It means a lot. I am very sorry to hear about your brother. I’m def not in a good head space right now given the way I’ve been treated online lately. Evil people just like to push and push until they’ve pushed too far. If only they knew what we’re doing to someone’s wellbeing. But honestly they probably wouldn’t even care and would just laugh about it and make fun of me as they have in the past. They make fun of my illness. They are just really evil people and I cannot subject myself to it any longer in order to protect myself. I can tell that you are an amazing, genuine person and I’m so glad you reached out.

7. I was wondering where you went and had figured it was the brutal nature of people on instagram….over the ‘non-keto posts.’ Have followed your insta account for some time =) and enjoy you as well as your content/pics/posts as they came (keto/or not)! Anyways-enjoy your time away…although, many of us will miss you! Sometimes we just need to ‘be.’

• Hey! Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot! Thanks also for being a long time follower 🙂 maybe I’ll be back one day, but til then I’m gonna focus on some other things 🙂 one being this website! So stick around if you want 😘 and yeah, people just suck for no reason sometimes. I’m gonna go find the beauty that life can offer ✨

Liked by 1 person

8. Mari says:

Hi Leslee,
    I’m so sorry that trash people have gone out of their way to hurt you. I really enjoyed reading all of your posts and could tell what a lovely person you are. I’m still too nervous to start my own keto journey, but will use your posts and recipes when I do start. I hope you feel how loved and appreciated you are!

9. Kimberly Evans says:

Hi there, I know we’ve never talked but I’ve loved your instagram that I only found earlier this year. I miss seeing your posts and really hope you’re doing ok! I’m so sorry that you’re going through all of this and I wish I could give you a big, virtual hug. Hope to hear from you on here at least, sending all the positive vibes I can to you.

• Hey girl 🙂 thank you so much! I am doing much better, thank you! Thank you for the hug 🤗❤️ you will def hear from me over here! I am going to focus on this site more and add another section with other foods I enjoy making, and share some of my other recipes. This is a happy new beginning and I’m really optimistic about it ❤️