Having sides to meals is a staple. I used to do sides like Pasta and Potatoes but now I do low-carb sides like this sauteed cabbage recipe. I completely understand the importance of having a well-rounded meal. This sautéed cabbage and onions is not only a delicious side dish but also packed with health benefits.
Cabbage is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C, while onions are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Together, they make for a nutritious and flavorful side dish.
With a simple side dish like this, you can easily customize it to suit your taste buds by adding ingredients like garlic, or red pepper flakes for an extra kick of flavor. My husband just ate this as a main dish for lunch and this was the sort of recipe that just hit the spot with all of the delicious flavor in one.
I love that this recipe is also very budget-friendly, making it perfect for those looking to save some money while still eating healthy. Cabbage and onions are both affordable ingredients that can be easily found at any grocery store.
The best part about this sautéed cabbage and onions dish? It only takes 15 minutes to make! That's right, a delicious and nutritious side dish in just 15 minutes. Perfect side dish for busy weeknights or when you need a quick and easy meal option.
Here is a quick look at what you will need. You can find the full measurements in the recipe card below.
- Whole Head of Cabbage
- Onion, Chopped
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste
See recipe card for quantities.
This is a quick overview of the steps. See the Recipe card below for the rest.
Place bacon in a pan on medium-high heat and saute to your desired darkness, about 10 minutes
While the bacon is cooking, saute the onion in a different pan. Cook Until translucent on medium heat, about 5-7 minutes
Add in Raw cabbage and continue to cook. Give it a good stir occasionally and fry cabbage for another 10 minutes
Place into oven at 350 fahrenheitAdd Bacon to the cooking Cabbage mixture and add in your seasonings.
Cover and allow to cook for another 15- 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Variations and Substitutions
- Vegetarian - substitute the bacon for diced mushrooms or tofu crumbles
- Cabbage - You can use a different kind of cabbage such as red cabbage, Purple cabbage, napa cabbage or savoy cabbage instead of Green Cabbage for a different flavor.
- Garlic - Add minced garlic to the dish for an extra burst of flavor
- Onion - Try using shallots or red onions for a different taste profile
- Olive Oil - You can substitute with butter or avocado oil if desired.
- Skillet - You can cook in a cast iron skillet but watch your heat.
- large skillet
- Cutting board
- sharp knife
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days
Freezing: I would not recommend freezing
Reheat in the skillet the way you originally cooked it.
- Add a bit of the bacon grease to the cabbage for additional smoky flavor.
- This would be a great healthy side dish with your Corned Beef for St. Patrick's Day. But don't worry don't need to wait, you can enjoy this any time of year
- Make sure to cook the cabbage until it is slightly tender but still has some crunch for optimal texture.
- For a vegetarian option, you can omit the bacon and use vegetable broth or chicken broth.
- To make this dish more filling, add in some chopped potatoes or diced tofu.
- To save some time, use your grater for shredded cabbage.
- To garnish, add some crispy bacon. In this easy recipe, I cooked the bacon until it was golden brown.
Visit the search results to see which questions come up under the People also ask section for your primary keyword, and answer them here
Sauteed Cabbage and Onions
- Large Skillet
- Cutting board
- sharp knife
- 1 Cup Cabbage
- 6 slices Bacon
- ½ Cup Onion Chopped
- ½ C Olive Oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Place bacon in a pan on medium-high heat and saute to your desired darkness, about 10 minutes
- While the bacon is cooking, saute the onion in a different pan. Cook Until translucent on medium heat, about 5-7 minutes
- Add in Raw cabbage and continue to cook. Give it a good stir occasionally and fry cabbage for another 10 minutes.
- Add Bacon to the cooking Cabbage mixture and add in your seasonings.
- Cover and allow to cook for another 15- 20 minutes stirring occasionally.